
Beirut, Lebanon (Enmaeya News) — Nearly one in five people in Lebanon—an estimated 1.17 million individuals—are facing acute food insecurity, according to a new report released jointly by the United Nations’ Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and the World Food Programme (WFP).
The Integrated Food Security Phase Classification (IPC) analysis, launched June 13 at the Lebanese Ministry of Agriculture in Beirut, covers the period from April to October 2025. The findings show a fragile recovery from the spike in hunger triggered by the 2024 conflict but warn of worsening conditions in the months ahead.
“This progress is extremely fragile,” said Matthew Hollingworth, WFP’s Country Director in Lebanon. “Many families are one setback away from slipping back into crisis. Predictable, sustained assistance will be crucial to ensure these improvements hold.”
Although the number of people facing hunger has dropped from 1.65 million earlier this year, the situation remains precarious. Contributing factors to this temporary decline include the recent ceasefire, short-term increases in food aid, and partial recovery in local markets.
Still, Lebanon continues to face long-standing structural challenges: deteriorating agricultural infrastructure, surging inflation, and a sluggish economy. Critical humanitarian programs also suffer from serious funding gaps.
According to the report, the hardest-hit areas include Baalbek-Hermel, Baabda, Bint Jbeil, Marjayoun, Nabatieh, Tyre, and Akkar, where hunger is particularly acute. Current estimates indicate:
591,000 Lebanese (15% of Lebanese households)
515,000 Syrian refugees (37% of Syrian refugees)
67,000 Palestinian refugees (30% of Palestinian refugees)
are all living under crisis or emergency levels of food insecurity.
The report also warns that the number of food-insecure people is projected to rise again—to 1.24 million (23% of the analysed population)—between July and October 2025. This expected increase is due to seasonal pressures, continued economic contraction (with GDP still 34% below 2019 levels), and anticipated declines in humanitarian funding.
“The recent hostilities and mass displacement have severely disrupted agrifood systems,” said Veronica Quattrola, Acting FAO Representative in Lebanon. “Agriculture is a vital pillar for resilience and recovery. Urgent, targeted support is essential to restore production, stabilize food access, and build long-term community strength.”
During the report launch, Minister of Agriculture Dr. Nizar Hani emphasized the broader national context driving food insecurity. “Lebanon continues to suffer from the compounded effects of financial, economic, and social crises since 2019,” he said. “As part of its national responsibilities, the Ministry of Agriculture placed food security at the core of its strategy and requested to join the IPC initiative in 2022 to establish an accurate scientific basis for guiding policy.”
The Minister called for immediate interventions in areas hit hardest by recent conflict and urged stronger coordination among government agencies—including the ministries of Economy, Health, Environment, Social Affairs, Education, and Energy.
“We need to build an integrated national response that supports social safety nets, nutrition, education, and agriculture,” Hani said. “Boosting sustainable agricultural production is key to achieving long-term food security.”
He also cited recent initiatives such as the launch of a “Food Contaminant Observatory” and the reactivation of central laboratories in Kfarshima to ensure food safety and quality standards.
In closing, Hani thanked the ministry’s partners—including FAO, WFP, the American University of Beirut, the Central Administration of Statistics, and civil society organizations—emphasizing that “food security is a national responsibility that requires inclusive cooperation and continuous coordination to build a more resilient society and a fairer, more stable future for everyone living in Lebanon.”